You don’t grow up in the faith by following rules. You grow up by being connected, by faith, to the source of life.
You don’t receive Jesus, the helper. Jesus the friend. Jesus the religious guru. Jesus the good teacher. You must have received Jesus the Lord.
The Lord is a ruler, master, king. There are many who give intellectual assent to Jesus, call themselves Christians, go to church.
Billy Graham says, “No man can be said to be truly converted to Christ who has not bent his will to Christ. He may give intellectual assent to the claims of Christ and may have had emotional religious experiences; however he is not truly converted until he has surrendered his will to Christ as Lord, Savior, and Master.”
Charles Spurgeon says, “It is interesting to notice that the Apostles preached the Lordship of Christ. The word Savior occurs only twice in the Acts of the Apostles. On the other hand, it is amazing to notice the title Lord is mentioned 92 times.”
They clearly emphasized Lordship.
Week 4 of Colossians: Fully Pleasing God
Scripture: Colossians 2:6-15
Teacher: Kari Patterson
Listen or download:
- Download Walk It Out for week 4 (PDF)
things to think about …
- When and how did you receive Christ? How does this inform the way that you are to continue walking in Him? (Think specifically.)
- What would it look like to be “abounding in thanksgiving”? To be overflowing with gratitude in your daily life? What practical changes will help you grow in this grace?
- Have you ever been faced with false teaching or human tradition or suggested doctrines or beliefs you weren’t sure were true? What did you do? How do you decide whether something is true or not?
- How do you interact with “non-Christian” books, media, messages? What is your approach and how do you wisely interact with Hollywood, psychology and pop culture? (If you don’t have an intentional approach, let’s make one!)
Verse to memorize:
“Therefore as you have received Christ the Lord, so walk in Him.” —Colossians 2:6
“Continue with Jesus the same way you began!” —Colossians 2:6
Scriptures: Colossians 2:6-15
6 Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, 7 rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to theelemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10 andyou have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
Audio for this teaching is included in the RENEW Church podcast: subscribe in iTunes here, listen to all Women’s Bible Study messages at Godrenews.us/women, or access the church podcast feed directly here.