“Now I rejoice in my sufferings …”
—The Apostle Paul
Are you willing to endure sufferings for the sake of others? To actually take on physical loss, so others can gain? Will you give yourself to serve others?
That’s what ministry is. We serve to God’s glory and for other’s good.
What’s convicting is how hard we will work for something for self, and how quickly we don’t have enough energy for something that solely benefits others.
Week 3 of Colossians: Fully Pleasing God
Scripture: Colossians 1:24-2:5
Teacher: Kari Patterson
Listen or download:
- Download Walk It Out for week 3 (PDF)
things to think about …
- Are there any ways you are currently suffering? What is your natural response or tendency to this struggle? How will you rejoice IN (not for) this situation NOW?
- What relationship, ministry, or service is currently costly for you? Ask God for His supernatural resources, for all His energy to powerfully work within you.
- Knowing that we ALL have a tendency to consider “what’s in it for us” when serving others, spend time confessing this sin to God, specifically, and ask Him to work His supernatural selfless love in your heart, to minister to and serve others.
- Who in your life right now can you help to “present mature in Christ”? Children, friends, sisters in Christ? How will you invest in them this year?
Verse to memorize:
“ Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ” —Colossians 1:28
“We teach everyone about Jesus, to help them all grow up in Him!” —Colossians 1:28
Scriptures: Colossians 1:24-2:5
1:24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church, 25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, 26 the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. 27 To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. 29 For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
2:1 For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, 2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4 I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments. 5 Forthough I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the firmness of your faith in Christ.
Audio for this teaching is included in the RENEW Church podcast: subscribe in iTunes here, listen to all Women’s Bible Study messages at Godrenews.us/women, or access the church podcast feed directly here.