Our Creator has created for pleasure by His pleasure. We can find plenty of legitimate pleasure in Him and in what He provides, so we don’t have to take shortcuts and go looking for pleasure elsewhere. If you’re looking for happiness, look to Him.
Message title: Plenty of Pleasure in God
Seventh week of the ReCreate
Scriptures: Ecclesiastes 5:18-20; Psalm 16:11; Psalm 115:3; Exodus 20; Psalm 1
Preacher: Jeff Patterson
Listen or download:
18 Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. 19 Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God. 20 For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.
You make known to me the path of life;
in Your presence there is fullness of joy;
at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Our God is in the heavens;
He does all that He pleases.
What if the intent of the Ten Commandments was more than to tell us what not to do?
What if the prohibitions come from the Father’s desire to see us flourish and find ultimate enjoyment and pleasure in Him?
What if each vice enjoins an accompanying virtue? 1
1. Enjoy the pleasure of knowing, worshipping and serving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
2. Enjoy the pleasure of worshipping God in ways that He approves, loves, rewards, and responds to.
3. Enjoy the pleasure of speaking and singing about God’s beautiful persons, names, attributes, and acts.
4. Enjoy the pleasure of six days working in God’s calling for you and then enjoy the freedom of one full day off work to worship God and rest.
5. Enjoy the pleasure of loving and following the leaders God has placed in your life for your temporal and eternal good.
6. Enjoy the pleasure of healthy attitudes and activities that will improve the quality and length of your life.
7. Enjoy every physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual pleasure with the wife/husband God has given you.
8. Enjoy the pleasure of growing wealth in order to provide for your family and to bless others with loving generosity.
9. Enjoy the pleasure of praising others and of promoting all that is true, beautiful, and good.
10. Enjoy the pleasure of being thankful and content with all that God has given you.
This year we each of us are invited on an adventure to look up and love God first. What will be your plan to develop a new rhythm of seeking God each day? » Find some help here.