After hearing from Paul Hunter with prayer requests for their return to Uganda with NGM, we delved into Psalm 99 and the three-fold offices of Christ: He is the Great Prophet, the True King, the Good Shepherd.
Listen or download:
- The prophets come from God, sent with His message, to tell us His mind and heart. » They run to us, foretelling the future (if-then), and especially forth-telling God’s heart.
- The priests stand as mediators for when we’re in trouble and need to get right with God. We run to them with our problems and find mercy.
- The king protects, provide for, and leads the people to flourish in security with a better future. We look to the king to be strong when we are weak, to have an ambition bigger than himself.
- You need a Prophet to come speak God’s words to you. Otherwise you’re stuck in your own rut of defeatist thinking.
- You need a Priest with outstretched arms, to welcome you onto the rescue boat with the floodwaters of life threaten to drown you in sorrow, in sickness, in sin.
- You need a King to run the world, protect the land, and lead you courageousness into an uncertain future. He does the work and heavy-lifting so you can throw yourself into the daily tasks of living, serving, BEING all there where you need to be.
If you have a false prophet speaking false and empty promises, he’ll mostly delivery to you “content” of bigger-and-better, but not deeper-and-truer. Every false prophet leads astray, and thus away from God and into spiritual bondage.
If you have a hireling and not a shepherd to care for your soul, he’ll take more than he can give, and end of leading you to a dead-end religion. He won’t know how to care for your heart and equip you to do soul maintenance.
If you serve a politician or other leader (your boss) more than the True King, then whatever that person thinks of you (or doesn’t) will carry too much weight. That insecurity will inevitably crush you.
Jesus offers HIMSELF as the True Prophet, the True King, the Good Shepherd.
- Listen to Him!
- Submit to Him!
- Follow Him!
Hebrews 13:20-21 (ESV)
20 Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, 21 equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
1st Peter 1:8-13 (ESV)
8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, 11 inquiring what person or timethe Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. 12 It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.
13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Psalm 99 (ESV)
99 The Lord reigns; let the peoples tremble!
He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake!
2 The Lord is great in Zion;
he is exalted over all the peoples.
3 Let them praise your great and awesome name!
Holy is he!
4 The King in his might loves justice.
You have established equity;
you have executed justice
and righteousness in Jacob.
5 Exalt the Lord our God;
worship at his footstool!
Holy is he!
6 Moses and Aaron were among his priests,
Samuel also was among those who called upon his name.
They called to the Lord, and he answered them.
7 In the pillar of the cloud he spoke to them;
they kept his testimonies
and the statute that he gave them.
8 O Lord our God, you answered them;
you were a forgiving God to them,
but an avenger of their wrongdoings.
9 Exalt the Lord our God,
and worship at his holy mountain;
for the Lord our God is holy!