Happy New Year!
See you on Sunday at 10 AM as we kickoff the New Year by gathering for worship and the word at the Revival Building (813 7th St). Here’s the key emphases, happenings and overall announcements to read before we gather to sing, pray, share and celebrate.
A new year brings a new emphasis, and for the first half of 2015 we will look intently at the Covenants in the Bible. All the big and little Promises God has made to His people. In Jesus each of these are fulfilled, “Yes and Amen” (2 Cor. 1:20):
“For all the promises of God find their Yes in Hm. That is why it is through Him that we utter our Amen to God for His glory.”
Because of who God is and all of His promises, we can put Him first in our lives. Let’s love God 1st.
- Read ahead: Psalm 119:1-2, 45-48; John 15:1-11
This year we each of us are invited on an adventure to look up and love God first. What will be your plan to develop a new rhythm of seeking God each day? » Find some help here.
In an effort to support Renew Families, we are launching a couple new initiatives in 2015. To help your leaders know about your values and interests in parenting, and ensure we are doing all we can to support you as you bring up your children as disciples of Jesus, please respond by taking the Renew Kids Survey.
On Sunday, we begin all together to sing and pray. Early elementary kids are welcome to remain in the large group gathering, or may join the the Pre-K class at “half-time” when they head to their classes. Together Renew Kids are learning about the life and times of Jesus the Christ in the Gospel Project for Kids.
Birth to two years upstairs, and preschool age (3-5yrs) downstairs, with the option of 1st & 2nd graders (age 6-7yrs) joining them. Thank you to all who serve faithfully in leading children to know Christ through meaningful relationships.
Our new Family Verse:
Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live even if he die.” —John 11:25
- Parents: take the Renew Kids Survey (as mentioned above).
- Today is the last day of 2014. If you desire to make a final financial contribution to Renew Church, you are invited to give online now using our secure online givine module with The City.
- Men’s Huddle resumes on Thursday, January 8th (6-7 AM @ Coffee Rush, 9th & Main in Oregon City). We’re intentionally focusing on becoming better spiritual leaders in our homes. (Responses necessary.)
- Women’s Bible study will resume in the middle of January. Tuesday mornings, specifics TBA.
- We’re organizing an afternoon work party on Sunday, January 25th, to finish the Renew Kids space. More details to be announced on Sunday.
- This year we each of us are invited on an adventure to look up and love God first. What will be your plan to develop a new rhythm of seeking God each day? » Find some help here.
In December we gave a brief update on global mission giving, in an effort to make wise use of your generous giving! Kari noted our values in how church leadership chooses which worthy organizations to contribute towards. We set aside 6% of all giving to global justice, mercy, and discipleship initiatives. The most recent funds went to these three global ministries:
- Next Generation Ministries in Uganda to support the missionary work of Paul & Pam Hunter. » $2,000 is set aside to fund a women’s clinic for childbirth.
- Gospel for Asia » $2,000 given to support five women missionaries for a whole year! (Also noted the Veil of Tears trailer, though we did not show it with children present.)
- World Vision » We ordered mosquito nets for a whole village (cost: $1,260).
The world’s deadliest creature, the mosquito, kills nearly 655,000 people every year. While preventing malaria is inexpensive by U.S. standards, it’s out of reach for poor African families who must watch helplessly as their children suffer and die. Your gift will provide one of the best ways to protect children from malaria — bed nets — as well as critical education for prevention and control.
Every donation you give will help provide long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets that will protect children from this deadly disease. These nets can be used for approximately four years, making them one of the best investments you’ll ever make!
- Locally, Renew will be funding a new oven for the Mountain Ministries women’s program home.
Thank you for your continued generosity!
Let’s continue to invite people into our lives, beyond Sundays, just as we invite them to worship with us. Sharing a meal together this coming week — at a restaurant or at home — is a good way to sit down and talk about life. Invite people over, embody hospitality.