In our desire to equip parents as they “train their children up in the way they should go,” we have created a blog series to communicate the lessons our kids will be learning each Sunday, family discussion questions, resources for discipling children, and opportunities to engage in serving and loving the world with your kids.
Our curriculum comes from The Gospel Project for Kids and systematically teaches the stories of the Bible starting in Genesis and finishing in Revelation. We are currently studying Jesus’ life in the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
Head » Learning the Story
This month in Renew Kids we are learning about many of the parables that Jesus taught. Parables are stories that Jesus used to teach people about the kingdom of God. The story we are looking at this week is the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus and we are asking, “What is heaven?” Heaven is the place where God is.
This parable is one where Jesus tells a story about a rich man and a poor man. The rich man ignored the poor man’s suffering day after day. Eventually, both men died and the poor man was taken to be with Abraham and the rich man went to a place of suffering. The rich man cried out to Abraham and Lazarus, the poor man, and asked for comfort. When none could be given, he asked Abraham to send someone to warn his family. Abraham responded that his family had the scriptures and should learn from those and that even if someone came to them from the dead, they would not turn away from sin and turn to God. Read the full story here: Luke 16:19-31
- What was the rich man’s life like? (He dressed in nice clothes. He had a nice house. He ate wonderful foods.)
- What was the poor man named Lazarus’ life like? (He was hungry. He didn’t have a house, but sat outside the rich man’s house.)
- Where did the rich man go after he died? (to a place without God, where he was in pain)
- What did the rich man want Lazarus to do? (to go to the rich man’s father’s house and tell his brothers how to go to heaven)
- Where can we learn about God and how to get to heaven? (in the Bible)
- What is heaven? (Heaven is a place where God is)
Jesus’ story about the rich man and Lazarus may have surprised many people. In that time, people thought if you had a lot of money, then you were blessed by God and good enough to be in heaven with God. Jesus showed people it doesn’t matter whether you are rich or poor, important or unimportant. To be in heaven with Jesus, you need to turn away from sin and trust in Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
Heart » Family Discussion
Reading and discussing parables is a great opportunity to ponder God’s Word in our hearts. Take some time to think through this story and what Jesus may have been trying to convey to his listeners.
- What was Jesus teaching His listeners in this parable?
- What do you feel after reading/hearing this parable?
- Based on this story, what do you think God desires of us? What in this story makes you think so?
- If someone asked you what was the most important part of today’s parable, what would you tell them?
Hands » The Word at Work
The Bible says that God’s Word does not return to Him void without accomplishing what He wills (Isaiah 55:11). Spend some time as a family and ask God how He wants you to live out what He is teaching you through scripture. Then make a plan to do it!
- Be Aware. Spend time individually and as a family educating yourself on the suffering of our brothers and sisters around the world. Spend time together praying for them and asking God how He wants you to be involved in caring for them. Read this blog post for some great ideas on how to partner with Christ in loving and caring for those who are suffering overseas, right from your home.
Additional family resources:
Each week we will include a family resource for parents as they seek to disciple their children to love and follow Jesus.
- This week’s resource is a blog post on 9 ways to impact the world right where you are, from We Are That Family.
“We must obey God rather than men.” —Acts 5:29